IFC InfraVentures is a $150 million global infrastructure project development fund that has been created as part of World Bank Group’s efforts to increase the pipeline of bankable projects in developing countries. Its unique offering, combining early stage risk capital and experienced project development support, is designed to address the key constraints to private investment in infrastructure projects in frontier markets.
We can fund up to $8 million of a project’s expenses at an early stage of development. This can represent a significant part of the funding necessary to bring an infrastructure project from idea to financial close. The type of activities and deliverables we can fund, support, execute, and/or supervise include:
- Project and prototype feasibility studies,
- Economic, social, technical, and environmental studies,
- Managing relationships with public and private stakeholders such as governments and civil society groups,
- Financial modeling,
- Negotiating financial and legal terms of project documents,
- Selecting and supervising project participants, and
- Sourcing project equity and debt financing.
IFC InfraVentures project support is not grant funding. In return for its development funding and assistance, IFC will have the right to a stake in the equity of the project at financial close, in most cases the right to arrange the long-term debt for the project and IFC may provide part of such debt.