As developing countries' populations grow, demand for food will continue to rise disproportionately. Meeting this demand with available resources of land and water requires a focus on sustainable production and resource efficiency.
IFC seeks commercially viable solutions and helps companies set benchmarks for responsible production in line with industry best practices. The initiatives we support enhance sustainability across the agribusiness value chain.
Agribusiness Commodities Roundtables
IFC is involved in a number of agribusiness commodity roundtables to advance environmentally and socially responsible business practices across supply chains. We work with a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure responsible production, processing, and trading of agricultural commodities.
IFC is a voting member of the following commodity roundtables:
- Round Table on Responsible Soy
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil
- BON Sucro (sugar)
- Better Cotton Initiative
Global Map of Environmental and Social Risks in Agro-Commodity Production (GMAP)
The GMAP is a database—displayed as an online, interactive world map—that collects data on environmental and social risks associated with about 250 country-commodity combinations across the globe. Using a methodology aligned with IFC’s Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability, GMAP can provide an early assessment of risks related to agri-commodity production as well as detailed risk-management support.
Click here to learn about and participate in 2017 GMAP Pilot program.
- Good Practice Handbook: Assessing and Managing Environmental and Social Risks in an Agro-Commodity Supply Chain
- Good Practice Note: Improving Animal Welfare in Livestock Operations
- Good Practice Handbook: Use of Security Forces: Assessing and Managing Risks and Impacts
- Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) Implementation Handbook - GENERAL
- EHS Guidelines
- Sustainability Webinars
- Spatial Agent Application