Application Deadline: February 10, 2018
Position Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Short Term Consultant (Myanmar National)
Environmental and Social Advisory
Vacancy No. 1254966
Myanmar nationals only.
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence, to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, helping the private sector play an essential role in the global effort to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. IFC’s energy investment and advisory support spans the globe. IFC has played a key role in bringing many hydro projects to fruition. IFC offers advice to the private sector, companies, governments, and financial institutions to raise their environmental and social standards and help companies grow their businesses sustainably. For more information on IFC visit: www.ifc.org/sustainability.
IFC in Myanmar is currently implementing a new environmental and social (E&S) advisory program which aims to take a holistic approach to create sustainable and transparent markets by supporting the private sector to adopt sound E&S practices.
Assignment’s Objectives and scope of work
The purpose of the assignment will be for a Myanmar National Consultant to assist with program support, implementation of activities, and communication.
Scope of Work
The consultant will be expected to work closely with the Team Leader, IFC office staff and other regional team members to undertake the following tasks:
- General administration support with the Advisory Services Operation Portal (ASOP) to input data for monitoring and reporting of the program outputs and outcomes and maintain files to track project results;
- Maintain files of clients, consultants and other stakeholders involved in project activities in the form of a database;
- Contribute to project documentation such as concept notes, approval documents, briefings, and presentations;
- Organize meetings, workshops and other events by preparing/translating agendas, securing meetings, liaising with participants, preparing logistics.
- Liaise with Government of Myanmar counterparts, prepare materials in Myanmar language as required and/or review translated documents for or by GOM, secure meetings and respond to GOM requests.
- Assist in the administration of procuring and managing professional service providers, including drafting terms of reference (ToR), managing internal procurement processes in collaboration with IFC procurement/admin and finance staff;
- Support communications team in reviewing articles in Myanmar language and sharing summaries in English and contacting with the media (as requested).
- Translate or procure/review Myanmar language materials into English and vice versa as needed.
- Coordinate programmatic areas such as trainings for the private sector; linking with World Bank support to the government of Myanmar; specific private sector interventions; and research.
- Work closely with World Bank counterparts as required.
- Support the Project Leader in her functions – developing strategies, internal reporting, reporting to donors, providing briefings, presentations, etc.
- Other activities as determined.
- A master’s degree in a relevant discipline e.g. environmental studies and social sciences, water resources management, private sector development, and project management;
- Good understanding of the operations of the Government of Myanmar and its structure (including knowledge of the government procedures, rules, and regulations) as related to environmental and social issues;
- Good knowledge of the operations of private businesses and issues facing them;
- Good network of actors engaged in environmental and social issues in Myanmar;
- At least five years’ experience working for government agencies, private businesses or donor funded projects;
- Strong inter-personal skills and proven track record in working effectively in a team environment with multi-disciplines and cultures;
- Ability to also work independently and take initiative to troubleshoot when issues arise;
- Good organizational skills and ability to carry out admin activities; and
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral in English and Myanmar.
Interested candidates should apply online at https://wbgeconsult2.worldbank.org/wbgec/index.html#$h=1517813988158 using vacancy number 1254966. Application Deadline is February 10, 2018.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.