ADVICE IS NOW MORE THAN EVER A CRITICAL PART OF IFC’S STRATEGY TO CREATE MARKETS AND MOBILIZE PRIVATE INVESTMENT.
Through this work, we help establish the conditions that will attract the most private capital, enabling the private sector to grow.
- We help companies attract private investors and partners, enter new markets, and increase their impact. We provide tailored market insights as well as advice on how to improve companies’ operational performance and sustainability.
- We help industries adopt good practices and standards to increase competitiveness and productivity.
- We help governments structure public-private partnerships to improve people’s access to high-quality infrastructure and basic services. We help governments implement reforms that encourage private investment.
Selected Highlights of 2018
Improving Access to Finance:
- IFC provides investment and advice to financial institutions that serve individuals and micro, small, and medium enterprises. These institutions provided about 54.4 million micro and 8.3 million small and medium loans totaling nearly $439 billion. They also provided 2.3 million housing-finance loans totaling $69.8 billion.
- We supported our partners in digital financial services to facilitate over 366 million non-cash retail transactions, totaling $10 billion.
- We helped strengthen country financial markets by working with collateral registries and credit bureaus that facilitated $146.8 billion in financing. More than 302,000 micro, small, and medium enterprises received loans secured with movable property.
- We helped create or enhance five credit-bureau operators in Morocco, Mongolia, Nigeria, Jordan, and Azerbaijan.
Providing Solutions and Services:
- More than 17 million people benefited from IFC advisory work in support of off-grid solar solutions.
- We worked with firms to adopt new practices and technologies that attracted financing of $121.2 million through resource-efficient-technologies projects.
- IFC helped governments sign 17 contracts with private operators. These transactions are expected to improve access to infrastructure and health services for 6.1 million people and mobilize over $4.6 billion in private investment in infrastructure.
Improving the Business Environment:
- In collaboration with the World Bank, we supported 35 national and local governments to implement 73 reforms that helped improve the enabling environment for private sector development and foster competitive markets and job creation. Fifty-one reforms were in IDA countries, including 13 in fragile and conflict-affected areas.
- These reforms led to $85.5 million in private sector savings and contributed to more than $142 million in new investments.