In FY20, our long-term investments in Sub-Saharan Africa totaled about $4.6 billion, including $2.4 billion mobilized from other investors. Our clients provided 2.6 million loans to micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises, totaling about $14.5 billion. They cared for 7.9 million patients and generated and distributed power to 32.5 million people.
Project Financing and Portfolio, by Region
|$ millions, for the year ending June 30||FY20|
|Long-term investment commitments||2,188|
|Guarantees and risk management||92|
|Portfolio Exposure2 for IFCs account||9,736|
|Committed portfolio for loan syndications3||3,759|
|Total Portfolio Exposure||13,495|
- Including Loan Syndications (B-Loans, Parallel Loans, and MCPP Loans), IFC Initiatives, AMC Funds, Advisory Mobilization, as applicable for this region.
- Portfolio exposure is defined as the sum of the (i) committed exposure for IFC’s debt investments, (ii) fair market value of IFC’s equity investments, and (iii) total undisbursed equity commitments.
- Including B-Loans, Agented Parallel Loans, MCPP Loans, Unfunded Risk Participations (URPs), Credit Insurance Policies (CIPs), and A-Loan Participations (ALPs). Amounts include regional shares of investments that are officially classified as global projects.
Development Outcome Reach
|MSME loans (# of loans)1||3,059,675||2,647,591|
|MSME loans (amount in $ millions)1||13,088||14,517|
|Power generation (millions of people)||34.8||26.1|
|Water distribution (millions of people)||0.4||0.0|
|Power distribution (millions of people)2||12.2||6.4|
|Phone connections (millions of people)||3.3||4.2|
|Domestic purchase of goods and services ($ millions)||4,097||2,057|
|Payments to governments ($ millions)||1,533||1,189|
- Portfolio reach figures represent the micro, small, and medium enterprise outstanding loan portfolio of IFCs financial institution clients with MSME-oriented finance.
- One client in Sub-Saharan Africa contributed 6.4 million to power distribution customers reached.
Largest Country Exposures1
|Sub-Saharan Africa||Portfolio Exposure2 ($ millions)|
|Rank within Region||Country||FY19||FY20|
Based on IFC's account, as of June 30
- Excludes individual country shares of regional and global projects.
- Portfolio exposure is defined as the sum of the (i) committed exposure for IFCs debt investments, (ii) fair market value of IFCs equity investments, and (iii) total undisbursed equity commitments.