The Global Agriculture and Food Security Program (GAFSP) Private Sector Window uses blended finance solutions and concessional funding to support projects designed to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers living in the world’s poorest countries. Investing across the entire food supply chain, from farm inputs to logistics and storage, to processing and financing, the Private Sector Window specializes in early-stage agribusiness projects with a high potential for development impact.
- Every $1 of Private Sector Window funding leverages more than $5 of private sector funding.
- 1.16 million farmers reached
- $336 million deployed
- 77 investment projects in 27 countries
Working alongside IFC, the GAFSP PrSW applies blended finance solutions and IFC’s expertise and knowledge to invest in projects that may not attract commercial funding due to perceived high risks in the agricultural sector. GAFSP funding is co-invested alongside IFC funding but the Private Sector Window takes it one step further: addressing market failures by providing affordable funding with less demanding terms. This allows the Private Sector Window to invest in early stage or riskier projects in IDA and fragile and conflict-affected states that hold high potential for development impact and financial sustainability. GAFSP partners with companies who include smallholder farmers as part of their overall value chain, providing access to markets, financing and storage, and increasing production and incomes for those living and working in the world’s lowest income countries.
Advice and technical support are also a critical part of GAFSP PrSW work as a comprehensive blended finance solutions provider. Through IFC’s Advisory Services, GAFSP helps raise capacity building by providing on-the-ground training and advice for businesses and farmers in improving farmer productivity, strengthening standards, reducing risks and mitigating climate change effects.
GAFSP PrSW is supported by the following development partners: Australia, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
COVID Conversations : An In-Depth Look at How the Pandemic is Impacting
- Disruption in a Nutshell: How Bhutan’s Largest Private Sector Employer is Weathering the COVID Storm
- Keep Calm and Drink Tea: The CEO of a Global Tea Company on Weathering COVID-19
- In Ethiopia, COVID-19 is Causing Disruptions in Meat Processing, Even as Demand Surges
- In COVID-19 Era, Donors Face Challenges Ahead: A Conversation with Iris Krebber
- In Honduras, COVID-19 is Taking a Toll on Smallholder Farmers
- From Farmers to Financial Institutions, the Impacts of COVID-19 in Kosovo are Widespread