The Middle East and North Africa is home to several fragile and conflict-affected states. We are stepping up our work in many of these countries, helping build a solid foundation for economic growth and shared prosperity.
In these economies, we have focused on improving access to basic services, including power and water, while supporting smaller business and increasing economic opportunities for women.
Among other initiatives, IFC has:
- Invested $18 million in dairy conglomerate Al Safi Danone Iraq, helping to create jobs and boost standards in the food processing industry;
- Helped the Central Bank of Yemen reform its credit reporting framework, facilitating lending to smaller businesses;
- Provided $65 million in financing to telecom operator Roshan, helping the company expand cell phone and internet services in Afghanistan;
- Consulted on a landmark public-private partnership that will improve sanitation services for almost 800,000 people in the West Bank; and
- Arranged a $65 million loan to the Iraqi subsidiary of cement maker Lafarge, an important boost for the local construction industry.