Have 5 minutes? Help us improve how content is organized on IFC.org by completing a brief survey.
IFC applies our financial resources, technical expertise, global experience, and innovative thinking to create markets and opportunities that help countries mobilize private solutions and finance to solve development challenges.
Development Outcome Reach by IFC’s Clients
|Employment (millions of jobs)1||2.1||2.1|
|Amount ($ billions)||76.0||75.6|
|Amount ($ billions)||360.6||406.7|
|Amount ($ billions)||1.6||0.9|
|People reached with services|
|Power generation (millions of people)||81.5||48.6|
|Power distribution (millions of people)6||15.6||9.8|
|Water distribution (millions of people)7||18.0||0.8|
|Gas distribution (millions of people)8||3.4||3.2|
|Phone connections (millions of people)||186.9||184.0|
|Patients served (millions)||49.9||55.3|
|Students reached (millions)9||4.7||5.5|
|Farmers reached (millions)||5.3||3.5|
|Payments to suppliers and governments|
|Domestic purchases of goods and services ($ billions)10||46.0||52.5|
|Contribution to government revenues or savings ($ billions)||14.3||16.3|
Most of development reach indicators reflect the impacts of IFC clients in which IFC has directly invested. Indicators rely on data provided by IFC clients, and are therefore subject to certain precautions, as expressed in the notes (2), (3) and (4) below and in the Independent Assurance Report.
- Figures include the jobs of the companies invested by the funds that are financed by IFC. In CY19, these jobs represented 40% of the total.
- These figures represent the MSME reach of IFC clients as of end of CY18 and CY19. CY18 and CY19 portfolio data are not strictly comparable, because they are based on the portfolio of IFC clients, which changes from year to year. The results also reflect contributions from Advisory Services. While numerous controls are performed on the data provided by clients, they are sometimes based on estimates, and the understanding of the indicator definitions may vary slightly between clients.
- Portfolio reach figures represent the micro, small, and medium outstanding loan portfolio of IFC’s financial institution clients with MSME-oriented finance.
- Reported Microfinance and SME data include a substantial contribution from two large institutions in East Asia and the Pacific region.
- The total number and dollar volume of trade transactions financed by the Global Trade Finance Program’s network of emerging-market banks are based on actual data from 99% (number) and 64% (dollar volume) of the network’s active banks for CY19. This data represents total transactions executed by network banks supported by the GTFP. Data for the remaining 1% (number) and 36% (dollar volume) has been calculated by IFC using internal calculation guidelines or by summing up only transactions directly guaranteed by IFC for these network banks. The figures are not directly comparable to last year’s due to variance in the number of active banks in the program and those who submitted survey responses. CY18 data has been updated to reflect prior-year data corrections from survey participants.
- One client in Sub-Saharan Africa contributed 6.4 million of Power Distribution customers reached in CY19.
- One client in World Region contributed 0.8 million of Water Distribution customers reached in CY19.
- One client in East Asia and the Pacific contributed 3.2 million of Gas Distribution customers reached in CY19.
- One client in World Region contributed 3.6 million of Students reached in CY19.
- CY18 total Domestic purchases of goods and services revised due to the restatement of one client value in Europe and Central Asia.